Wildlife and Terrestrial Ecology
Highly qualified and experienced Hatfield staff understand how plants and wildlife interact within an ecosystem, which helps ensure your project or program is designed, built, and operated to minimize negative impacts and enhance sustainability.
With a history of providing high-quality wildlife, vegetation, and biodiversity studies throughout the world, our experts are familiar with current inventory standards and best practices for maintaining and/or enhancing ecosystems. Working closely with clients, we assess animal and plant species present at project sites, monitor ecosystems to establish baselines and ensure compliance with applicable regulations, and develop and implement wildlife, vegetation, and biodiversity management plans. Geographic information systems (GIS) and satellite imagery are used extensively to assist with wildlife, habitat, and biodiversity mapping and data collection in areas difficult to observe through traditional methods.
Hatfield’s team of experts can support your project through the provision of the following services:
- Wildlife and plant surveys across a range of climatic zones
- Identification of species (including species at risk) and ecosystems of concern at project sites
- Biodiversity surveys, assessments, plans, and monitoring programs including a range of international biodiversity services
- Regulator compliant impact assessments, mitigation and management plans for terrestrial wildlife, including raptors, water birds, songbirds, amphibians, reptiles, and small and large mammals
- Wildlife and plant community monitoring using both ground and aerial techniques to assess the status of species present at project sites
- Design and install wildlife deterrent systems for tailings ponds and other hazardous areas
- Habitat mapping and data collection using GIS and remote sensing
- Monitor land use change at worksites and develop solutions to sustain healthy terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems
- Conduct pre-construction bird sweeps consistent with regulatory requirements
- Manage and maintain regulatory compliance for wildlife and associated logistical requirements throughout project construction and operation.