Strengthening the CCARDESA Information, Communication and Knowledge Management System (ICKM)
Centre for Coordination of Agricultural Research and Development in Southern Africa (CCARDESA) GIZ-Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit, GmbH – Eschborn
Gaborone, Botswana covering all SADC Member States
2017 – 2019
Hatfield assisted CCARDESA in the development of the Centre’s mandate to disseminate agricultural information to stakeholders around the SADC region. This included assessing CCARDESA’s existing Information, Communication and Knowledge Management (ICKM) system, updating and improving the ICKM system, developing climate smart agricultural content, and implementing the new ICKM system. Specific attention was paid to Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA), including the development of a series of CSA Knowledge Products and Technical Briefs that formed core content for the new ICKM platform.
Key services undertaken by Hatfield for this Project included the following:
- Detailed analysis of the existing systems at CCARDESA including a user needs assessment;
- Drafting of a new ICKM strategy;
- Design and specification of all aspects of the new ICKM system, including website;
- Implementation of the ICKMS;
- Development of 24 knowledge products (in English, French and Portuguese) and 67 technical briefs (English-only);
- Design and development of a mobile app;
- Revitalisation of the CCARDESA regional ICKM Community of Practice; and,
- Training and capacity development.