PT Hatfield Indonesia supporting Jambi Province, Indonesia, with baseline data and cadastral maps to support REDD+
Aug 18, 2012
It is estimated that land cover and land use change contributes to more than 80 percent of Indonesia’s annual greenhouse gas emissions. The Government of Indonesia, with support from the international community, is taking steps to improve forest and peat-land governance to reduce GHG emissions and contribute to global efforts to mitigate climate change under the Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) programme. PT Hatfield Indonesia was recently awarded a contract to support the Province of Jambi, located in Sumatra Island, with baseline data and cadastral maps to support REDD+. The project is sponsored by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and supports the Indonesia National REDD+ Taskforce (UKP4) and Provincial partners.
The project seeks to develop a centralized data and map repository. This will entail identifying and compiling forestry, land-cover, demographic, socio-cultural and socio-economic data with the aim to produce a “one map” reference for the province that is endorsed by all stakeholders. Management and maintenance of these baseline data and cadastral maps will be supported by the development information and communications technology systems in Jambi, as part of sub-national Indonesia REDD+ implementation.
Hatfield’s project activities include the:
- Analyses of data requirements and availability for REDD+;
- Data processing and validation, including standardization of maintenance tools;
- Development and implementation of a multi-stakeholder data review and endorsement processes;
- Data sharing and design within each stakeholder organization, as well as to facilitate and develop the institutionalization of data management in Jambi Province; and
- Gap Analysis for institutional capacity of data management. Capacity development programmes for stakeholders in the Jambi Province including data management training.
Hatfield is active in providing support to international organisations, non-government organisations, and the private sector related to REDD+ projects and research. This project builds upon Hatfield’s experience and expertise in geographic information systems (GIS), socio-economic development , forestry and land management in Indonesia.
For more information, please contact us:
Bambang T. Sasongko Adi
PT HATFIELD INDONESIA
Tel.: +62 251 8324 487; 8332 602
Fax: +62 251 8340 414