Hatfield to conduct substantial review of coastal and marine habitat protection, restoration and enhancement within the Indonesian Sea Large Marine Ecosystem (ISLME) region
Apr 20, 2020
The Indonesian Sea Large Marine Ecosystem (ISLME) is one of 66 globally designated Large Marine Ecosystems, with 98% located within Indonesian territorial waters, and the remaining 2% located within the territorial waters of Timor-Leste. Over 185 million people live within the ISLME region with many depending on coastal resources for their livelihoods. To help assess the effectiveness of various activities designed to preserve this crucial ecosystem, Hatfield will conduct a substantial review of:
- Policy and regulation, coordination, management and monitoring frameworks for coastal and marine habitat protection, restoration and enhancement of targeted fisheries within the ISLME region;
- Existing programs and initiatives supporting restoration and enhancement of all coastal and marine habitat types;
- Unsustainable fisheries practices occurring within designated conservation areas; and
- The final draft of zonation and management plans for the regional marine conservation areas in Teluk Bumbang, Central Lombok, and Nusa Tenggara Barat.
This project will strengthen coordination between the United Nations Food and Agriculture Agency (FAO), the Directorate of Conservation and Marine Biodiversity (KKHL) and the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries (MMAF). Hatfield’s involvement in this project will strengthen our experience in legal and policy analysis relevant to marine and coastal biodiversity in Indonesia.