General Description: A wildlife specialist is needed to participate in wildlife assessment and monitoring programs in the Lower Mainland, and elsewhere in British Columbia when required. Tasks will primarily involve pre-construction nesting bird activity surveys, amphibian breeding wetland surveys, and small terrestrial vertebrate salvages. Other likely wildlife tasks include the collection of baseline data through aerial surveys (animal counts, searches for specific habitat features); ground-based encounter surveys, snow-tracking surveys, point counts, and call playbacks; and wildlife habitat evaluations for species at risk and biodiversity at large. Technical assistance may be required on fish and fish habitat projects, or in construction monitoring. Office duties may include data entry and analysis, and assistance with the writing of reports.
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Term of Position: Full-time
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in field programs and projects that assess and monitor wildlife populations, wildlife habitats, vegetation, and terrestrial ecosystem conditions.
- Enter data and assist in analysis and preparation of reports.
- Comply with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols.
- Comply with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
- Conduct other duties as assigned.
- Primarily auditory and visual bird identification skills (at least two years of experience as a birder or conducting breeding bird surveys)
- Other wildlife identification skills (ability to distinguish between egg masses and key out amphibian aquatic/ terrestrial life stages; general small mammal identification skills)
- Basic plant identification skills
- Ability to work in a team and maintain a positive attitude.
- Familiarity with data collection and field navigation (GPS/tablet use; orienteering)
- Good physical condition (ability to endure long working days and adverse weather conditions)
- Resourcefulness; problem-solving skills (recommending solutions for issues that arise)
- Excellent communication skills including professional engagement with clients.
- Data entry and reporting skills using MS Office.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- An environmental diploma or a B.Sc. in biological studies, plus at least two years of experience with birding and field work or environmental consulting.
- A Driver’s license plus some experience driving in rough terrain (i.e., driving a four-wheel drive truck, an ATV or an argo).
- Experience operating in a dynamic environment that requires flexibility and teamwork
- An ability/interest to work long days in remote locations.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Wildlife Specialist” in the subject line of your email. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.