North Vancouver/New Westminster, Canada
Intermediate Water Quality Specialist
Hatfield Consultants is seeking an intermediate Water Quality Specialist to become part of our dynamic Environmental Monitoring and Assessment team. The ideal candidate will be resourceful and adaptable with an interest in developing a range of expertise related to environmental monitoring, risk assessment, and ecotoxicology. The position will entail coordinating and providing technical support to a variety of studies for industrial and government clients.
Location: North Vancouver or New Westminster, BC – This is a full-time permanent position.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support and/or lead water quality and aquatic ecosystem health studies.
- Provide technical support to environmental monitoring programs, ecotoxicology studies, contaminant investigations, and human and ecological risk assessments, including study design, data analysis, and reporting.
- Coordinate contracted work with analytical chemistry and toxicology laboratories.
- Organize and/or implement field components of environmental monitoring programs.
- Provide technical assistance on proposal development, project scheduling, and budget management activities.
- Compile, manage, and interpret data, and draft technical reports.
- Provide technical guidance to clients on environmental protection and environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring.
- Demonstrated technical competency and knowledge of surface water quality, limnology, oceanography, and/or biogeochemistry.
- Strong research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation, and analysis).
- Experience applying environmental quality guidelines and benchmark development protocols in British Columbia and Canada (e.g., BC WQGs, BC SBEB process, and CCME WQGs), with a specific focus on surface waters and sediments.
- Understanding of water balance and load modeling, and ability to interpret and integrate model predictions into technical reports.
- Statistics experience and familiarity with R coding and large dataset synthesis is an asset.
- Ability and interest to undertake and lead field programs, often in remote locations.
- Motivated self-starter with a positive attitude and an ability to think independently and strategically.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Desire to take on greater responsibility and authority with increasing experience.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum undergraduate degree in biology, ecology, chemistry, environmental sciences, or engineering.
- Two to five years of progressive work experience, preferably in a professional consulting context.
- Knowledge of pertinent surface water legislation, regulations, and guidance documents.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in British Columbia and Alberta, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
Reply in confidence with salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please mark “Water Quality Specialist – Vancouver” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.