Social Science / Indigenous Relations Specialist
Hatfield Consultants (Hatfield) is a Canadian company established in 1974 that specializes in a broad range of services in environmental and social sciences, geomatics and remote sensing, data management and information systems.
Social performance is an increasingly important dimension of delivering sustainable projects across all sectors and jurisdictions. To help meet this demand we are looking to grow our Human Environment Group with high quality, mid-career professional. We have interests and experience across a wide variety of projects and related activities including; social, health and economic impact assessment, Indigenous and community/stakeholder engagement, social performance monitoring and evaluation, and capacity development.
The successful candidate will be part of Hatfield’s Human Environment Group and work out of our head office in North Vancouver, BC. She/he will have technical skills in the social sciences and/or related disciplines. We seek someone with excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
A graduate degree in the social sciences or related disciplines is preferred, although we are also interested in candidates with equivalent combinations of education and experience. Commensurate with experience the role is responsible for technical leadership, support, and delivery of a variety of projects within Canada and, potentially, in collaboration with our international offices.
We are particularly interested in candidates with a background or experience in any one or a combination of: Indigenous and stakeholder engagement and communications, health assessment (especially social determinants of health), monitoring and evaluation (M&E), and economics.
- Work independently and with teams of social and environmental specialists and technicians on a variety of projects, across multiple sectors and with a broad range of clients;
- Deliver high quality research and reports;
- Contribute to the planning, organization, and delivery of stakeholder and Indigenous engagement activities;
- Research design, implementation and analysis; and
- Lead and/or support the preparation of proposals.
- Networking and business development.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Technical ability in the preparation and delivery of social science research including research design, data collection, compilation and analysis;
- Excellence in technical report writing and other forms of written communication (e.g. training materials or community outreach);
- Excellent oral communication skills (e.g. networking, facilitation, and community engagement skills);
- Inquisitive and entrepreneurial;
- Open to periodic travel, including internationally, and to work in remote locations and communities as required (although rarely for more than 1-2 weeks).
Education and Experience:
- Graduate degree or equivalent professional experience in social science or related field;
- 4+ years’ work experience
- Background or experience in one or more social science or related fields (e.g., sociology, economics, public health, epidemiology, anthropology, geography, international studies, natural resource management or similar);
- Experience working with or within government agencies, indigenous communities and/or governments, international development organizations, or other third party or non-government organizations;
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Social Science – Vancouver” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.