Senior Marine Biologist
Hatfield is pleased to offer an exciting position for an experienced and technically strong marine biologist based in our North Vancouver office. This position presents an exceptional opportunity for the right individual to advance their career at one of Western Canada’s largest purely environmental consultancies. We are a progressive and growing consultancy that is focussed on providing the highest quality environmental services to our clients at the cutting edge of science. We have been providing environmental services to the marine sector in BC for 40 years and continue to grow our team and the services we offer. The ideal candidate will be a respected technical specialist with experience across a range of marine disciplines and projects. The ideal candidate will revel in the challenges of delivering complex and interesting marine environmental studies in British Columbia, northern Canada, south-east Asia and internationally. Duties will consist of planning and leading field programs; mentoring junior and intermediate staff, advising clients on marine environmental issues and regulatory requirements, preparing study reports and liaising with regulators and Indigenous groups. The successful candidate will also support business development activities and represent Hatfield in technical forums and at conferences. The role will be fully supported by Hatfield’s Senior Manager of Marine Resources and Senior Partners in Infrastructure and Environmental Management.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and lead marine field programs, as required, for baseline surveys and monitoring.
- Prepare baseline and monitoring reports covering marine fish and fish habitat, including data analysis and interpretation.
- Deliver marine related components of Environmental Assessments.
- Provide technical guidance to clients on marine environmental and regulatory issues.
- Prepare permit applications, including Fisheries Act, Disposal at Sea, Navigation Protection Act and port authority.
- Prepare Habitat Offsetting plans.
- Determine marine related mitigation and monitoring requirements as part of Construction Environmental Management plans.
- Project scheduling and budget management activities.
- Ensure compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols, and compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
- Demonstrated technical competency and knowledge of marine ecology, fisheries, or related discipline.
- Registered Professional Biologist in British Columbia.
- Ability and interest to undertake and lead field programs, potentially in remote locations.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a high standard of scientific rigour to all projects and deliverables.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
- Demonstrated reporting and project management skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation and analysis).
- Excellent communication (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing).
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a graduate degree in a relevant environmental discipline (marine biology/ecology, environmental science).
- 5+ years marine science experience.
- Working knowledge of BC provincial and Canadian federal environmental legislation and environmental impact assessment methods.
- Commercial diving experience would be considered an asset.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Senior Marine Biologist – Vancouver” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.