North Vancouver/New Westminster, Canada
Junior Marine Scientist
Hatfield’s marine team continues to grow, and we are pleased to offer an exciting position for an enthusiastic and technically focussed junior marine scientist. This position presents an exceptional opportunity for the right individual to jump start their career at one of Western Canada’s largest purely environmental consultancies. We are a progressive and growing consultancy that is focussed on providing the highest quality environmental services to our clients at the cutting edge of science. We have been providing environmental services to the marine sector in BC for over 40 years. The preference is to base the role in our North Vancouver office but there will be the opportunity to work from our New Westminster office.
Candidates will be eager to learn and focussed on rapidly developing there scientific and consulting skills. They should have a sound knowledge and understanding of marine science through their education, preferably in BC but experience in other locations will be considered. Experience of report writing, presenting scientific concepts and marine field survey are required. The ideal candidate will revel in the challenges of delivering complex and interesting marine environmental studies in BC, Canada, and internationally. Duties will consist of participation in aquatic field programs, data analysis, input to study reports and environmental effects monitoring. The role will be fully supported by intermediate and senior marine and fisheries scientists and the management team and partners within Hatfield’s.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in field programs.
- Input to baseline and monitoring reports, including data analysis.
- Support the preparation of Environmental Assessment, permit applications and habitat offsetting plans.
- Environmental effects monitoring of construction and operations.
- Ensure all tasks are performed to a high level of Health and Safety and Quality, in compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety and Quality Management Plans.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of MSc in a marine science related discipline (e.g. marine biology, oceanography) or BSc plus 1 year of work experience.
- Knowledge of the marine environment in BC and elsewhere.
- Fluent verbal communication and ability to write concisely.
- Experience and a keen interest in field work.
- Experience and interest in data compilation and analysis.
- A real willingness to learn new skills both in the field and office.
- Experience operating a survey vessel would be an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada and possess a current and valid Canadian Driver’s License.
Reply in confidence with your cover letter, CV and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please mark “Junior Marine Scientist – Vancouver” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.