Intermediate Social/Economic Science and Engagement Specialist
Established in 1974, Hatfield Consultants (Hatfield) is a Canadian company that provides services in social and environmental science, geomatics and remote sensing, data management and information systems.
Social performance is an increasingly important dimension of delivering sustainable projects across all sectors and jurisdictions. To help meet this demand we are looking to grow our Human Environment Group. We have interests and experience in a wide range of social science and related activities and projects including: social, health and economic impact assessment; community and Indigenous engagement; household surveys and livelihood studies; social performance monitoring and resettlement; capacity development; social determinants of health; and gender studies.
The Social Performance Specialist will be part of Hatfield’s Human Environment Group and work out of our head office in North Vancouver, BC. The successful candidate will have technical skills in the social sciences and/or related disciplines. We seek an early career individual with excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
A graduate degree is preferred, although we are also interested in candidates with complimentary or equivalent work experience, in one of the social sciences or related disciplines. The role is responsible for technical support and delivery of a variety of projects both within Canada and in collaboration with our international offices.
We are particularly interested in candidates with a background or experience in any one or a combination of the following: health assessment, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), Indigenous engagement and consultation, and economics.
- Work independently and with teams of social and environmental specialists and technicians on a variety of projects, across multiple sectors and with a broad range of clients;
- Deliver high quality research and reports;
- Contribute to the planning, organization, and delivery of stakeholder and Indigenous engagement/consultation activities;
- Assist with research design, implementation and analysis; and
- Support the preparation of proposals.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Technical ability in the preparation and delivery of social science research including research design, data collection, compilation and analysis;
- Excellence in technical report writing and other forms of written communication (e.g. training materials or community outreach);
- Excellent oral communication skills (e.g. networking, facilitation, and community engagement skills);
- Inquisitive and entrepreneurial;
- Open to periodic travel, including internationally, and to work in remote locations and communities as required.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in social science or related field;
- At least 2+ years’ work experience;
- Background or experience in one or more social science or interdisciplinary fields (e.g., sociology, economics, public health, epidemiology, anthropology, geography, international studies, natural resource management or similar);
- Experience working with or within government agencies, indigenous peoples and/or governments, international development organizations, or other third party or non-government organizations;
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Intermediate Social/Economic Science and Engagement Specialist” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.