Intermediate Marine Biologist
Hatfield is pleased to offer an exciting position for an enthusiastic and technically focussed marine biologist. This position presents an exceptional opportunity for the right individual to advance their career at one of Western Canada’s largest purely environmental consultancies. We are a progressive and growing consultancy that is focussed on providing the highest quality environmental services to our clients at the cutting edge of science. We have been providing environmental services to the marine sector in BC for over 40 years and continue to grow our team and the services we offer. Candidates will have experience of environmental assessment, permitting and/or monitoring relating to marine fish and fish habitat in BC. Preferably the experience will be in consulting but regulatory and/or research-based experience will also be considered. The ideal candidate will revel in the challenges of delivering complex and interesting marine environmental studies in BC, northern Canada, and potentially internationally. Duties will consist of leading field programs, preparing permit applications, environmental monitoring, preparing study reports and liaising with clients, regulators and Indigenous groups. The successful candidate will also support business development activities through proposal preparation. The role will be fully supported by Hatfield’s Senior Manager of Marine Resources, Senior Partners in Infrastructure and Environmental Management and other senior fisheries and environmental professionals within Hatfield.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead marine field programs, as required, for baseline surveys and monitoring.
- Prepare baseline and monitoring reports covering marine fish and fish habitat, including data analysis and interpretation.
- Deliver marine related components of Environmental Assessments.
- Prepare permit applications, including Fisheries Act, Disposal at Sea, Navigation Protection Act and port authority.
- Input to Habitat Offsetting plans.
- Input to Construction Environmental Management Plans for marine infrastructure development.
- Ensure compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan and client health and safety protocols, and compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
- Demonstrated technical competency and knowledge of marine ecology, fisheries, or related discipline.
- Registered Professional Biologist in BC or eligible to obtain within one year.
- Ability and interest to undertake and lead field programs, potentially in remote locations.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a high standard of scientific rigour to all projects and deliverables.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
- Demonstrated reporting skills.
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation and analysis).
- Excellent communication (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing).
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a graduate degree in a relevant environmental discipline (marine biology/ecology, environmental science).
- Minimum of 2 years’ post-graduate marine science experience.
- Working knowledge of BC provincial and Canadian federal environmental legislation.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Intermediate Marine Biologist – Vancouver” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.