Environmental Data Management Specialist
Hatfield Consultants is seeking an Environmental Data Management Specialist for our Environmental Information Systems (EIS) team in North Vancouver. Hatfield’s EIS team develops custom digital solutions for our clients that help improve their environmental and social data acquisition, access, sharing, and reporting.
As an Environmental Data Management Specialist, you will lead and manage data management projects, and will serve as a liaison between the Hatfield application development team and our clients, working with both groups to build strong business relationships. You will be managing and driving environmental data management projects through the entire life cycle from proposal to analysis and reporting, ensuring that reproducible data science objectives are being met. Your key responsibilities will include developing proposals, managing and driving data management discussions and projects with Hatfield staff and clients, and providing technical inputs to projects with a diverse array of environmental information and data management objectives. Strong communication skills and the ability to understand the unique needs of a wide variety of clients are important in this position.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage data management projects for Hatfield and our clients, ranging in scale from small data collection programs to regional-scale environmental monitoring initiatives.
- Provide collaborative guidance to Hatfield’s application development team and a variety of internal and external clients.
- Engage with and manage multidisciplinary teams delivering environmental and social information. Engage in all components of planning, executing, and closing of a project cycle.
- Develop cost estimates and manage budgets for projects of varying size and scope.
- Write proposals and identify business opportunities.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Exceptional listening and learning skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Experience using R and/or Python for environmental data analysis and reporting.
- Experience with a variety of database engines (i.e. SQL Server, MySQL, etc.)
- 5 years’ experience in environmental industry with a minimum of 3 years of Project Management experience. PMP certification is not required and is not expected.
- B.Sc. or higher degree in biology, environmental science or Engineering.
- Strong management, organizational, and planning skills.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with environmental management/monitoring projects and associated datasets (such as water quality data, fisheries data, hydrology data, etc).
- Experience building strong working relationships with stakeholders and clients.
- Values diversity and collaboration and has experience mentoring others.
- Ability to work in a team context with programmers, developers, and non-technical users.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Additional Skills and Experience Considered a Strong Asset:
- Consulting experience, particularly environmental consulting.
- Experience working with large datasets and production databases
- International work or volunteer experience.
- Experience with human-computer interaction (HCI) usability techniques.
- Experience with Geospatial data.
- Experience developing scalable web-oriented architecture applications.
- Experience designing and implementing interactive data-visualization systems.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Only short-listed candidates will be notified.