Fort St John, Canada
Hatfield Consultants, a Canadian environmental consulting company that has undertaken over 2,500 projects in North and South America, Asia, Europe and Africa requires a permanent full-time Environmental Technician for its Fort St. John office. Reporting to the Manager of Hatfield’s Fort St. John’s office, the environmental technician will participate in programs which assess and monitor aquatic and terrestrial conditions. This will consist of serving as field crew members for projects and studies requiring: water quality sampling, fisheries and aquatic habitat assessments, nesting bird surveys; environmental monitoring of construction projects; other environmental projects as assigned; entering and analyzing data; and assisting with the writing of reports. Environmental technicians can expect long hours of field work at remote and mine-site locations. Hatfield provides competitive reimbursement for overtime hours.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with field crew leaders and project managers to ensure environmental compliance of project activities with all relevant provincial and federal environmental legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Participate in field surveys as required in support of ongoing project objectives and monitoring requirements.
- Compilation and analysis of environmental data and report writing.
- Compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols.
- Compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
- Demonstrated technical competency in a relevant environmental discipline
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork
- Ability/interest to work extensively in the field in a range of weather conditions, occasionally in remote locations
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation and analysis).
- Excellent communication (verbal and written – technical and scientific writing).
Education and Experience:
- Must have an environmental diploma, B.Sc. or be working towards a higher degree in environmental sciences and appropriate qualifications for work in Alberta.
- 2-3 years of experience or combination of experience/education.
- Experience operating in a dynamic environment that requires flexibility and teamwork, and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
- Up-to-date First Aid certification and a current Driver’s License.
Reply in confidence with salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please mark “Environmental Technician – Fort St. John” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.