Fort McMurray, Canada
Intermediate / Senior Aquatic Specialist
Hatfield Consultants is seeking an experienced Environmental Specialist to become part of our dynamic Environmental Monitoring and Assessment team in Fort McMurray. The ideal candidate will provide technical leadership for the environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring of industrial projects in Alberta. Duties will consist of organizing and implementing required environmental assessment and monitoring programs, including study design, statistical analysis and reporting; and ensuring environmental compliance of project activities with all relevant local, provincial and federal environmental regulations.
Location: Fort McMurray, AB – This is a full-time permanent position. All of our staff reside in Fort McMurray. This is not a fly-in, fly-out position.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and implement aquatic impact assessments and environmental monitoring programs, including study design, data analysis and reporting.
- Undertake aquatic effects assessments using fish populations (and related bio-indicators that reflect fish health), benthic invertebrate communities, water and sediment chemistry, and aquatic toxicology data
- Participate in and/or oversee field programs, as required, to conduct and direct technical aspects of aquatic environmental monitoring and assessments of aquatic habitats.
- Manage teams of environmental specialists and technicians responsible for conducting aquatic environmental surveys and assessments conformance with local, provincial, and federal regulations.
- Undertake necessary project scheduling and budget management activities (development and tracking of budgets).
- Direct and oversee contracted work with analytical chemistry and toxicology laboratories
- Prepare project-related reports and presentations of researched results and recommendations.
- Provide technical guidance to clients and liaise with government regulators regarding environmental protection and environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring.
- Demonstrated technical competency and knowledge of freshwater and/or marine ecology.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
- Demonstrated reporting and project management skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation and analysis).
- Desire to take on greater responsibility and authority with increasing experience.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing).
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in a relevant environmental discipline (fisheries, aquatic ecology, environmental science) and a relevant professional designation in either BC or Alberta.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing environmental aspects of natural resource development and/or infrastructure projects.
- Familiarity with federal and provincial (Alberta) environmental regulatory and permitting frameworks.
- Experience and success working in large, multi-disciplinary teams is essential.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork, and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
Reply in confidence with your cover letter, CV and salary expectations to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please mark “Aquatics Specialist – Fort McMurray” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.