Fort McMurray, Canada
General Description: Hatfield Consultants is seeking an Environmental Technician Term Position to become part of our dynamic Environmental Monitoring and Assessment team. The ideal candidate will provide technical support and assistance for programs that assess and monitor aquatic and terrestrial environments in northern Alberta. Duties will consist of serving as a field technician for studies that may include, water quality monitoring, fisheries and aquatic assessments, wildlife monitoring and habitat assessments, environmental monitoring of construction projects; other environmental projects as assigned; entering and analyzing data; and assisting with the writing of reports. In addition, this role may include activities specific to managing field equipment for the Fort McMurray office.
Location: Fort McMurray, AB – This is a full-time position. All of our staff reside in Fort McMurray. This is not a fly-in, fly-out position.
Term of Position: Temporary full-time from May 1 until November 29, 2019
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in field surveys as required in support of ongoing project objectives and monitoring requirements.
- Work with field crew leaders and project managers to ensure environmental compliance of project activities with all relevant provincial and federal environmental legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Enter data and assist in analysis and preparation of reports on researched results.
- Compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client’s health and safety protocols.
- Compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work in teams of technicians with varying levels of experience and maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability and interest to undertake extensive fieldwork, in a range of weather conditions, including working in remote locations and on programs that require camp stays.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and the wiliness to work overtime in support of field programs.
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation and analysis), including GPS use and map navigation.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing) including an ability to communicate professionally with clients.
Education and/or Experience:
- Must have or be working towards an environmental diploma, B.Sc. or higher degree in environmental sciences.
- 1 year of related experience is desirable.
- Experience operating in a dynamic environment that requires flexibility and teamwork is desirable.
- A current Driver’s License.
Closing date for applications: Friday March 1, 2019
Reply in confidence with your cover letter, CV and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please mark “Environmental Technician – Fort McMurray” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.