Junior Water Resources Specialist
Hatfield Consultants is seeking a Junior Water Resources Specialist to become part of our team and provide field and technical support for the design and implementation of hydrology, hydrogeology, and water resource management components of Hatfield’s energy, oil and gas, mining, and infrastructure projects in Alberta. This position would be a combination of office and fieldwork, based out of the Calgary office. Start date is negotiable.
- Prepare, participate and eventually lead field programs required for hydrologic and hydrogeologic data collection and monitoring programs.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and calibrated to meet operational and field requirements.
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team to assess potential project-related and/or climate change-related impacts on water resources and environmental values. This may include supporting the coordination and/or implementation of other water resource (e.g., water quality, climate, aquatic, fish) monitoring programs.
- Compile and interpret hydrometric, hydrogeologic, climatic, water use, water quality, and other environmental data.
- Support ongoing data management (e.g., review of near-real-time telemetry data) and reporting to clients and regulatory agencies (e.g., draft technical report sections and data summaries).
Education and Experience:
Minimum requirements for this position include:
- B.Sc. or technical diploma in natural/environmental sciences or engineering with some prior formal training (e.g., coursework) in hydrology and/or hydrogeology.
- Legally able to work in Alberta and British Columbia and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Fluent verbal communication and ability to write concisely.
- Experience and a keen interest in field work. Field work in remote locations- sometimes under adverse weather conditions- and occasional overtime will be required.
- Experience and interest in data compilation and analysis.
- A real willingness to learn new skills both in the field and office.
Prior experience with the following is considered an asset for this position:
- Field investigation and monitoring programs, particularly hydrological and hydrogeological programs, as well as sediment and water quality sampling.
- Hydrometric station installation, data logger programming, surveying and streamflow measurement.
- Other environmental field experience, such as construction monitoring and environmental effects monitoring.
- Data handling and analysis. In particular, background in R statistics, coding, GIS, and/or hydraulic/hydrogeologic modelling would be highly desirable.
All candidates who meet minimum requirements are encouraged to reply in confidence with salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please include “Calgary Junior Water Resources Specialist” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.