Intermediate / Senior Aquatic Environmental Specialist
Hatfield Consultants is seeking an experienced, scientifically strong Environmental Specialist to become part of our dynamic Environmental Monitoring and Assessment team in Calgary, Alberta. The ideal candidate will provide technical support and assistance for the environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring of industrial projects in Alberta, British Columbia and northern Canada. Duties will consist of organizing and implementing required environmental assessment and monitoring programs, including study design, statistical analysis and reporting; and ensuring environmental compliance of project activities with all relevant local, provincial and federal environmental regulations. The successful candidate will possess significant scientific expertise and experience in effects monitoring and assessment with aquatic ecosystems, including fish populations and fish health.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and implement aquatic impact assessments and environmental monitoring programs, including study design, data analysis and reporting.
- Undertake aquatic effects assessments using fish populations (with emphasis on monitoring bioindicators that reflect fish health), benthic invertebrate communities, as well as water and sediment chemistry.
- Participate and lead field programs, as required, to conduct and direct technical aspects of environmental monitoring and assessments of aquatic habitats.
- Work with teams of environmental specialists and technicians responsible for conducting environmental baseline surveys and impact assessment studies in conformance with local, provincial, and federal regulations.
- Undertake necessary project scheduling and budget management activities.
- Prepare project-related reports and presentations.
- Provide technical guidance to clients on environmental protection and environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring.
- Ensure compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols, as well as compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
- Demonstrated technical competency and knowledge of freshwater and/or marine ecology.
- Ability and interest to undertake and lead field programs, often in remote locations.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a high standard of scientific rigour to all projects and deliverables.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
- Demonstrated reporting and project management skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation and analysis).
- Desire to take on greater responsibility and authority with increasing experience.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing).
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in a relevant environmental discipline (fisheries, aquatic ecology, environmental science) and a relevant professional designation in either Alberta or BC.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with aquatic sciences, and a minimum five years of experience managing or leading environmental studies focused on natural resource development and/or infrastructure projects.
- Working knowledge of Provincial and Federal environmental legislation and environmental impact assessment methods
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork, and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Intermediate/Senior Aquatic Environmental Specialist – Calgary” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.