Hatfield Consultants is seeking an Intermediate Hydrologist/Hydrogeologist to become part of our team and provide field and technical support for the design and implementation of hydrology, hydrogeology, and water resource management components of Hatfield’s energy, oil and gas, mining, and infrastructure projects in Alberta.
This position is full time permanent and would be a combination of office and fieldwork, based out of our Calgary or Fort McMurray offices. Start date is negotiable.
- Prepare, participate and lead field campaigns required for hydrologic and hydrogeologic data collection and monitoring programs.
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team to assess potential project-related and/or climate change-related impacts on water resources and environmental values. This may include supporting the coordination and/or implementation of other water resource (e.g., water quality, climate, aquatic, fish) monitoring programs.
- Compile, manage and interpret hydrometric, hydrogeologic, climatic, water use, water quality, and other environmental data.
- Organize and assess data for quality and assurance control for publication to clients or regulators.
- Draft reports for submission to regulatory agencies or clients.
- Schedule and track both project progress and budgets.
- Draft proposals to secure new projects and maintain existing clients.
- Mentor junior staff to develop their technical, managerial and professional skills.
Education and Experience:
Minimum requirements for this position include:
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. (preferred) in natural/environmental sciences or engineering with a combination of academic training (e.g., thesis, coursework) and 3-5 years of project experience in hydrology and/or hydrogeology.
- Experience with commonly used hydrometric and/or hydrogeologic equipment.
- Legally able to work in Alberta and British Columbia and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Fluent verbal communication and ability to write concise technical reports.
- Field work in remote locations- sometimes under adverse weather conditions- and occasional overtime.
- Experience in data compilation and analysis, including use of software tools such as Aquarius, EQuIS or similar software for loading, editing, reporting and visualization of sample data.
- A real interest to identify and pursue new projects within your area of expertise.
Prior experience with the following is considered an asset for this position:
- History of progressively responsible positions in hydrological and/or hydrogeological programs.
- Field investigations, surface water and groundwater well monitoring, as well as sediment and water quality sampling.
- Hydrometric station installation, data logger programming, surveying and streamflow measurement.
- Complementary field experience, such as drilling, well completion, construction monitoring and environmental effects monitoring.
- Data handling and analysis. Background in R statistics, coding, GIS, and/or hydraulic/hydrogeologic modelling would be highly desirable.
All candidates who meet minimum requirements are encouraged to reply in confidence with salary expectations to: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please include “Intermediate Hydrologist/Hydrogeologist – Calgary” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.