Forestry Senior Specialist
PT. Hatfield Indonesia (PTHI) is a well-established (1990) and growing environmental consulting company that offers excellent career opportunities for highly motivated individuals. Our company provides science-based solutions in a range of sectors including infrastructure, mining, forestry, renewable energy, international development, marine and coastal management, and others. We work for a wide range of clients in the private sector, national and international government agencies, international finance institutions, and civil society organizations. To deliver these services, we have an integrated team of national and international specialists that understand the need for strong environmental and social science in support of sustainable development in Indonesia.
The principle responsibility of the Senior Forestry Specialist is to provide discipline lead services to multi-disciplinary environmental assessments of development projects in Indonesia and potentially in the greater ASEAN region. The successful candidate will be expected to design and manage forestry, land rehabilitation and natural resources studies and monitoring programs, analyze potential effects, develop mitigation measures, prepare associated environmental impact assessments which may include offset plans, and liaise with clients and government regulators. The successful candidate will also be expected to prepare proposals, manage budgets and schedules, oversee field programs and crew members, and ultimately be responsible for data and report quality and client satisfaction. We are seeking candidates with strong project management and communication skills and a proven background and competency in forest management, development, policy and/or economics.
PTHI recognizes the importance of a balanced approach to work. Along with rewarding professional development opportunities and a competitive salary, careers at PTHI come with benefits that help you grow within the company and contribute to the wider community.
Location: Bogor, Indonesia
Employment Term: On a contract basis for 12 months
Work Days: 5 days per week
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct desktop studies on various projects in Indonesia, including sustainable forest management, climate change initiatives, forest policy and regulations, sustainable forest management, forest financing, etc.
- Able to lead a multi-disciplinary team for:
- Complex project proposal;
- Project implementation;
- Project evaluation; and
- General business development.
- Has overall responsibility to contribute to or to develop specific project deliverable based on tasks assigned by the Project Manager and/or the Project Director.
- Coordinate and implement field assessments related to biodiversity, forest carbon, permanent forest plots, forest and oil palm certification, land rehabilitation, etc.
- Establish contacts and interact with a broad range of forestry stakeholders including government officials, NGOs and international organizations.
- Manage forestry project aspects including teamwork, scheduling, budgeting, and client liaison.
- Data analysis and report writing.
- In the proposal development and/or project implementation, he/she will assume some management responsibilities such as coordination and supervision of specialists, junior specialists, and/or sub-consultants as assigned by the Project Manager or Project Director.
- He/she will also contribute to marketing activities and business development related to forestry; including the development of presentation materials and deliver of presentations.
- Ensure compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety and Quality Management Plans, client health and safety protocols, and other external requirements and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Competency and familiarity with forestry and natural resources management issues in Indonesia, including biodiversity, REDD+, sustainable forest management, sustainable resources management and community livelihood/community development.
- Familiarity with Indonesian regulations related to natural resources and forestry.
- Proficiency with forest and oil palm certification schemes will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated reporting and project management skills including time management, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Possess strong leadership, team management and good interpersonal skills.
- Intermediate computer skills required: MS Office and statistical software.
- Excellent communication in Bahasa Indonesia and English (verbal and written – technical and scientific writing).
- GIS and remote sensing skills will be advantageous.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum a graduate degree in Forestry, Biology or Natural Resources Management or equivalent from a reputable university. A doctoral degree from a reputable university will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in forestry or natural resources management projects with a demonstrable track record of increasing responsibilities.
- Excellent analytic and research skills (leveraging a sound knowledge of scientific literature).
- Comprehensive knowledge of environmental (impact) assessment and an understanding of how effects of project-related developments on forestry and other natural resource values should be investigated and reported.
- Experience with preparing regulatory applications for approvals and possess a sound working knowledge of national and provincial environmental legislation.
- Experience with designing and implementing scientific studies/field programs and managing field teams and the collection baseline data.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork; and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrated experience working as a positive team contributor.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with national regulatory (AMDAL) process would be beneficial.
- Working knowledge of international standards including International Finance Corporation (IFC) Performance Standards and Equator Principles.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Forestry Senior Specialist” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.