With close to 50 years of environmental consulting experience, Hatfield’s work culture focuses on scientific excellence, professional development, a fun and inclusive environment, and providing flexible work arrangements including hybrid work options and a biweekly earned days off program. In addition, we have a flat organizational structure, and a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression.
We are seeking a full-time permanent Environmental Specialist in Infrastructure and Environmental Management (IEM) to be based out of our Calgary office. The successful candidate will provide technical support for the environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems related to construction projects in Alberta, British Columbia, and northern Canada. We are a dynamic, science-driven consulting company that prides itself in applying collective expertise to advance environmental stewardship and responsible development. Our team values technical excellence, creativity, integrity, collaboration, a good sense of humour, and offers a supportive work atmosphere. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and an RRSP matching plan. We are now one of the largest independent environmental consultancies headquartered in Western Canada. In addition, Hatfield has a strong team of Managers and Partners that will support and guide this position.
- Working with interdisciplinary teams of environmental specialists and technicians to effectively deliver environmental management programs and ensure compliance of project activities with all relevant provincial and federal environmental legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Participating in and leading field surveys focused on environmental assessment and management of terrestrial and aquatic habitats.
- Providing technical assistance for acquiring environmental permits, licenses, and approvals from regulatory agencies in support of infrastructure projects.
- Compiling, managing, and interpreting environmental data, and composing technical reports.
- Providing technical assistance in the preparation of a range of environmental compliance documents required for project approval and implementation, such as environmental management plans, environmental protection plans, and environmental work plans.
- Providing technical guidance to clients on environmental protection and permitting.
- Ensuring compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols, as well as compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
Education and Experience:
- Technical diploma, B.Sc., M.Sc., in biological sciences, environmental management, or equivalent.
- A minimum of 2 years of progressive work experience, preferably in a professional consulting context.
- Experience working on construction environmental monitoring projects and specific training and experience dealing with erosion and sedimentation issues is an asset.
- Experience interpreting and working with federal and provincial environmental regulatory and permitting requirements associated with infrastructure development projects is an asset.
- Experience working with a range of environmental disciplines (wildlife, wetlands, vegetation, fish and fish habitat, First Nations, etc.) is an asset.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in Alberta and British Columbia, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Ability and interest to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility, teamwork, and work in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation, and analysis) with a demonstrated ability to apply a high standard of scientific rigour to all projects and deliverables.
- Excellent verbal and written communication (technical or scientific writing).
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Wildlife Specialist – Calgary” in your subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.