Hatfield has been operating in the environmental consulting space since 1974. We are thrilled to have been selected as one of BC’s Top Employers as well as Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers for 2022. Our work culture focuses on scientific excellence, professional development, and providing flexible work options including hybrid work options. In addition, we have a flat organizational structure, and a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression.
We are seeking a permanent full-time Water Resources Technician, based out of our Fort McMurray, Alberta office. This is NOT a fly-in, fly-out role. Relocation assistance is available. The successful candidate will provide field and technical support for the design and implementation of water resources management, hydrogeology, and hydrology, components of Hatfield’s oil and gas, mining, and infrastructure projects.
- Compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols.
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team to assess potential project-related and/or climate change related impacts on water resources and environmental values. This may include providing support for a variety of water resource (e.g., hydrogeological, hydrometric, water quality, climate) monitoring programs.
- Prepare, participate in and/or lead water resources field investigation and monitoring programs.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and calibrated to meet operational and field requirements.
- Support on-going data management and reporting functions.
Education and Experience:
- B.Sc. or technical diploma in sciences or engineering with some prior formal training (e.g., coursework) in hydrogeology and/or hydrology.
- A minimum of two years experience related to groundwater monitoring, hydrometric, climate, and/or surface water and groundwater sampling is preferred.
- Other experience that would be an asset includes: construction environmental monitoring; soil, sediment, surface and groundwater quality sampling; and, environmental effects monitoring and reporting.
- Experience with the operation of environmental monitoring systems such as dataloggers is an asset.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment is an asset.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in and Alberta and British Columbia, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Proven communication skills (verbal and written – including technical or scientific writing).
- Familiarity conducting environmental monitoring programs and an understanding of environmental management plans and environmental protection plans is an asset.
- Ability and interest to work extensively in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
- Ability to work in teams of technicians with varying levels of experience with a positive attitude.
- Ability and interest to undertake extensive fieldwork, in a range of weather conditions, including working in remote locations and on programs that may require camp stays.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and the willingness to work overtime in support of field programs.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing) including an ability to communicate professionally with clients.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Water Resources Technician – Fort McMurray” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.