Hatfield has been awarded BC’s Top Employers for 2022 and we’re looking for more outstanding people to join our team! We do interesting and meaningful work with opportunities for career and professional growth. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, and comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and a RRSP matching plan.
Hatfield is seeking a Water Resources Technician to become part of our Lower Mainland team and provide office and field technical support to our growing Water Resource Group. The successful candidate will support the planning and implementation of field programs and assist with data analysis and reporting of hydrology, hydrogeology, and water resource management components of Hatfield’s energy, oil and gas, mining, municipal, and infrastructure projects in British Columbia and Alberta.
This is a full-time permanent position, based out of the North Vancouver or New Westminster office. It comprises a combination of office and local and remote fieldwork. This field work may include 2-3 week field programs in Alberta. Start date is negotiable.
- Prepare, participate, and in time after appropriate training and mentoring lead field programs required for climate, hydrologic and hydrogeologic data collection and monitoring programs. Field programs could occur at both local and remote locations – sometimes under adverse weather conditions – and require occasional overtime.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and calibrated to meet operational and field requirements.
- Compile and interpret hydrometric, hydrogeologic, climatic, water use, water quality and other environmental data.
- Support ongoing data management (e.g., review of near-real-time telemetry, continuous and periodic water level, and lab data) and reporting to clients and regulatory agencies (e.g., draft technical report sections and data summaries).
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team to assess potential project-related and/or climate change-related impacts on water resources and environmental values. This may include supporting the coordination and/or implementation of other environmental (e.g., water quality, aquatic, fish) monitoring programs.
Education and Experience:
- B.Sc. or technical diploma in natural / environmental sciences or engineering.
- Legally able to work in British Columbia and Alberta and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Fluent verbal communication and ability to write concisely.
- Experience and a keen interest in field work. Field work in remote locations – sometimes under adverse weather conditions and occasional overtime will be required.
- Experience and interest in data compilation and analysis.
- A willingness to learn new skills both in the field and office.
The following are considered to be desirable:
- Prior formal training (e.g., coursework) in hydrology, hydrogeology and/or geology.
- Eligibility for registration with a professional organization as a member in training (e.g., EGBC, APEGA, BCIA, APB etc.).
- Experience with data handling and analysis. In particular, a background in Aquarius, R statistics, Python, GIS.
- Experience with field programs, particularly with soil, surface water, groundwater or climate monitoring or investigation programs.
- Other environmental experience, such as construction monitoring and environmental effects monitoring.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Water Resources Technician Vancouver” in your subject line. Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be notified but we will retain your resume for any future openings.