Hatfield is seeking an experienced, technically strong and dynamic individual to lead and grow our local water resource team in Calgary, and complement our teams in Vancouver and Fort McMurray.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong knowledge of the environmental consulting market in Alberta;
- Excellent business, client management and people management skills;
- Experience developing business related to water sciences and the aquatic environment; and
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain clients.
The successful individual will initially report to the senior water manager in Calgary and be responsible for:
- coordinating and managing projects, as well as supervising, mentoring and growing our local team of hydrologists and hydrogeologists;
- providing senior technical support on multi-disciplinary projects for existing oil and gas, coal and mining projects in Western and Northern Canada; and
- providing leadership, direction and/or support for water resource-related marketing and business development activities.
This position is full time permanent and based out of our Calgary office. Start date is negotiable.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage teams conducting technical work, including hydrologic, hydrogeologic and climate baseline characterization, water resource evaluation, modelling and impact assessment, and operational compliance monitoring studies.
- Manage projects, including: serving as primary client contact; preparing or reviewing reports and documents; scheduling; budget development and tracking; and providing technical or regulatory guidance and advice.
- Participate in the development and implementation of business development and marketing plans, and lead the preparation of proposals.
- Collaborate with and support biologists, ecologists and other Hatfield specialists to implement multi-disciplinary projects.
- Liaise with the Water Resource Group (WRG) management team on financial and human resource management issues.
- Manage, mentor, and train employees.
- Develop and maintain client relationships.
- Ensure compliance of Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external (client) requirements and regulations.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to lead/mentor new and existing staff.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a high standard of scientific rigour to all projects and deliverables.
- Aptitude and experience in management and administration, including financial and human resource management.
- Experience working in large, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated experience and success in marketing and business development.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written – including technical and scientific writing.
- Interest in leading / supporting business development.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in and Alberta and British Columbia, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
Education and Experience:
Required Education and Experience:
- Technical expertise with practical and academic experience in at least one of the following disciplines:
- Hydrotechnical / Water Resource Engineering;
- Water quality / Geochemistry;
- Climate change assessment; or
- Water management.
- Minimum of ten years managing water resource components of resource-based projects in Alberta.
- Demonstrated experience developing business and managing growing teams.
- Eligible for, or have current, professional designation (e.g. PEng, PGeo, PChem, PAg, etc.).
- Sound working knowledge of Provincial and Federal environmental legislation and environmental impact assessment methods.
Reply in confidence with salary expectations to email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please mark “Water Manager – Calgary” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.