PTHI is seeking a skilled environmental professional to join our natural resources team at PTHI to help us build a sustainable future for our company and country. Your passion and expertise are essential to help grow our business, and we are offering an attractive opportunity to be part of a company that interacts across a wide range of sectors and clients, in Indonesia and internationally. The Senior Forestry Specialist will be part of the business development and management of a diversified company that is looking to expand into new markets.
PTHI recognizes the importance of a balanced approach to work. Along with rewarding professional development opportunities and a competitive salary, careers at PTHI come with benefits that help you grow within the company and contribute to the wider community.
The right candidate will be able to demonstrate experience in the environmental and natural resources management sector, as well as the ability to work with and manage a diverse team of national and international specialists as you work with national and international clients and standards. In addition, you possess the ability to develop business within your network, along our existing lines of business, and pursue new lines of work that align with our vision and mission as a company. Overall, the ideal candidate shares our desire to grow the capability of our team to support our clients.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams to undertake projects related to sustainable forest management, climate change initiatives, forest policy and regulations, sustainable forest management, forest financing in Indonesia and in compliance with national and international standards.
- Coordinate and implement field assessments related to biodiversity, forest carbon, permanent forest plots, forest and oil palm certification, and land rehabilitation.
- Manage project team activities including preparation of project work plans, schedules, budgets, technical activities, and coordination of technical staff and sub-consultants to ensure efficient use of corporate resources, preparation and editing of documents (proposals, reports, and geomatic outputs)
- Ensure QA/QC on project outputs to ensure the highest possible standards, and any additional tasks required to ensure that project outputs are completed on time, on budget and to acceptable corporate standards.
- Provide leadership in the implementation of company QHSE systems and policies.
- Provide mentorship and guidance with team members to provide a dynamic work environment and develop a career path to meet team members’ and company goals.
- Lead marketing and business development activities in the environmental sector in Indonesia and southeast Asia with private and public sector clients, as well as international developmentalorganizations. This will include: strengthening corporate relationships with existing clients; marketing and business development with potential clients; providing business intelligence for overall corporate marketing activities; remaining proficient with the direction and status of industry projects and opportunities; and providing assistance in the preparation of proposals and proposal negotiations with clients.
Education and Experience:
- Competency and familiarity with forestry and natural resources management issues in Indonesia, including biodiversity, REDD+, sustainable forest management, sustainable resources management and community livelihood/community development.
- Excellent analytic and research skills (leveraging a sound knowledge of scientific literature).
- Experience with designing and implementing scientific studies/field programs and managing field teams and the collection baseline data.
- Comprehensive knowledge of environmental (impact) assessment and an understanding of how effects of project-related developments on forestry and other natural resource values should be investigated and reported.
- Experience with preparing regulatory applications for approvals and possess a sound working knowledge of national and provincial environmental legislation.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork; and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations for extended periods of time.
- Working knowledge of Indonesian regulations and international standards including International Finance Corporation (IFC) Performance Standards and Equator Principles related to natural resources and forestry.
- Posses strong leadership, team management, and good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to support business development and marketing activities using modern networking skills and able to leverage an existing network in the private sector, government, nongovernmental organizations and/or universities to develop new business opportunities.
- Confident to undertake negotiation and mediation with senior decision makers, both internally and externally.
- Strong spoken and written communication skills in both Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Proficiency with forest and oil palm certification schemes will be an advantage.
- GIS and remote sensing skills will be advantageous.
Education and Experience:
- M.Sc. in forestry or environmental management relevant fields, or equivalent post-secondary education.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in forestry or natural resources management projects with a demonstrable track record of increasing responsibilities.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary technical and non-technical experts or teams. § Experience implementing projects under international standards and safeguards, i.e., IFC, World Bank, ADB, etc.
- Experience providing mentorship to technical and non-technical team members.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume describing your experience and salary expectations through email to: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please include “Senior Forestry Specialist” in your email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Please submit only via email and not through the online submission “Apply Now” form.