Hatfield has been awarded BC’s Top Employers for 2022 and we’re looking for more outstanding people to join our team! We do interesting and meaningful work with opportunities for career and professional growth. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, and comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and a RRSP matching plan.
Hatfield is excited to offer this rewarding and challenging position to bring additional leadership and expertise to our Infrastructure and Environmental Management (IEM) group. This position presents a tremendous opportunity for an experienced, energetic and strategically-minded individual to advance their career at a progressive, reputable, and growing consultancy. Hatfield has been in business for 45 years and has worked on some of the most significant infrastructure projects in BC. We are now one of the largest independent environmental consultancies headquartered in Western Canada. Hatfield has successfully led provincial and federal project assessments, and provided environmental management services for large infrastructure projects over many years and has a strong existing team that will support and guide this pivotal position. We place great emphasis on providing industry-leading quality services, that incorporate scientific rigour and integrity, and Indigenous and community engagement.
The successful candidate will possess a deep knowledge and understanding of past and present federal and BC provincial legislation, and will be well-respected for their sound strategic regulatory advice and planning in collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams and clients. They will have experience of project permitting and approvals, preparation of regulatory compliance submissions and construction environmental management documents. They will also have a solid understanding of project assessment methodology and experience leading the creation and coordination of various assessment documents (i.e., Initial and Detailed Project Descriptions, Application/Impact Statement) based on a broad knowledge of and multiple years’ experience in the delivery of assessments of major projects. The ideal candidate will also coordinate and participate in public and Indigenous engagement activities and revel in the challenges of pursuing and leading a diversity of infrastructure projects across multiple sectors.
The Senior Environmental Specialist will provide technical support and assistance for the design, assessment, management, and implementation of infrastructure projects in BC and Alberta. Duties will include creating and managing project teams, schedules, budgets and sub-contracts, providing environmental design inputs; coordinating federal and/or provincial impact assessments, leading environmental permitting and licensing; preparing and implementing environmental management plans (EMPs), related work plans, and monitoring programs; reporting; and ensuring compliance of project activities with all relevant local, provincial, and federal environmental regulations.
- Manage and supervise the environmental management and monitoring components of a portfolio of infrastructure projects.
- Manage and coordinate project impact assessments in collaboration with a team of internal technical experts and external sub-consultants.
- Play a lead role in acquiring environmental permits, licenses, and approvals from regulatory agencies in support of infrastructure projects.
- Prepare and oversee the implementation of a range of environmental compliance documents required for project approval and implementation, such as EMPs, environmental protection plans, and environmental work plans.
- Work with project development teams – including proponents, regulators, designers, and construction personnel – to address environmental compliance requirements during project planning and implementation.
- Present strategic regulatory advice both internally and to existing or prospective clients.
Education and Experience:
- B.Tech, B.Sc., or P. Eng. in environmental sciences, appropriate qualifications for work in Alberta or BC, and at least five years of experience managing impact assessments or environmental aspects of infrastructure development projects.
- Experience interpreting and working with federal and provincial environmental regulations associated with infrastructure development projects.
- Experience working directly with project proponents, heavy civil design and large, multi-disciplinary project teams, including project management experience on major projects.
- Experience working with local, provincial, and federal authorities, including the BC Environmental Assessment Office and the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada.
- Experience obtaining permits, licenses, and approvals in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Experience managing a range of environmental disciplines (air quality, noise, surface and groundwater quality, soils, vegetation, fish and fish habitat, contaminated sites, archaeology, etc.) is an asset.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
- Excellent project management, planning and communication (verbal and technical writing) skills skills to ensure successful project execution.
- Understanding of pertinent environmental legislation, regulations, and guidance documents to ensure and/or enforce project-specific compliance.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with the public, stakeholders and Indigenous groups through open houses, Technical Advisory Groups and Community Advisory Committees.
- Ability to undertake independent and creative technical reporting, business development and/or administrative functions to a high standard, while also being a collaborative team member.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: resumes@hatfieldgroup.