Hatfield has been awarded one of BC’s Top Employers for 2022 and we’re looking for more outstanding people to join our team! We do interesting and meaningful work with opportunities for career and professional growth. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, and comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and a RRSP matching plan.
Hatfield is an innovative, purpose-driven company that provides and services in environmental and social sciences to advance sustainable development in Canada and internationally. We’re seeking a Remote Sensing Specialist to join our experienced team to provide technical expertise in the design and implementation of remote sensing services and products with particular focus in forest management, biodiversity management, and nature-based solutions.
Hatfield’s Remote Sensing and Geomatics Group develops remote sensing solutions for our clients to tackle challenges like assessing the impact of habitat fragmentation on endangered woodland caribou, monitoring ecosystem recovery and regeneration, and developing our arboSense solution to measure above-ground biomass (AGB). We are looking for like-minded individuals seeking to apply technologies to address a wide range of environmental and societal challenges.
This position benefits from our policy allowing working from home while providing access to our modern and welcoming office spaces in North Vancouver, New Westminster, Terrace, Fort St. John, Fort McMurray or Calgary. Travel opportunities may arise to support projects throughout Canada and internationally.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of remote sensing and geomatics related projects and services.
- Apply remote sensing principles and innovative methods to analyze remote sensing data including automating data analysis (e.g., LiDAR, Sentinel-2, Landsat, and/or SAR).
- Assess, interpret, and synthesize information and contribute to technical reports.
- Work on multidisciplinary teams and projects, and collaborate with Hatfield’s other disciplines.
- Support proposals and presentations to clients.
Education and Experience:
- MSc. in Forestry, Geography, GIS, Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years relevant professional experience developing terrestrial remote sensing solutions (willing to consider differing combinations of education/experience).
- Fundamental understanding and demonstrable knowledge in remote sensing and in forestry or natural resource management.
- Experience in automating image processing using Python and relevant libraries (e.g. GDAL, rasterio, pandas/geopandas, numpy).
- Familiarity with large imagery catalogs such as Google Earth Engine or Microsoft Planetary Computer.
- Demonstrable experience applying machine learning for automated data analysis (e.g. Random Forest, Support Vector Machines, Gradient Boosting).
- Experienced in technical report writing.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills, with high propensity for teamwork.
- Solid scientific training with an interest in applied research and development and peer-reviewed publications.
- A self-starter with a passion for continuous learning to advance personal and company goals and objectives.
- A passion to advance sustainable development through applied remote sensing technologies and analytics
- Experience with deep learning Python frameworks e.g. Keras or Pytorch.
- Knowledge of advanced libraries for big data processing in Python (e.g. Dask, Xarray).
- Experience with version control software (e.g., Git, SVN).
- Knowledge of Linux systems and Docker.
- Knowledge of cloud computing frameworks e.g. Kubernetes, Kubeflow.
- An ability/interest to work internationally, with international development organizations.
- Experience working on CSA and/or ESA funded projects.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume describing your experience through the online form or email at email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please include “Remote Sensing Specialist” in your email subject line. Salary expectations are also appreciated and may be included in your cover letter. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.