Hatfield has been operating in the environmental consulting space since 1974. We are thrilled to have been selected as one of BC’s Top Employers as well as Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers for 2022. Our work culture focuses on scientific excellence, professional development, and providing flexible work arrangements including hybrid options and earned Fridays off. In addition, we have a flat organizational structure, and a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression.
We are seeking a Remote Sensing Research Associate to work on a collaborative project with the University of British Columbia (UBC) Department of Forest Management. This unique opportunity will be focused on developing solutions to tackle challenges of monitoring and assessment of ecosystem restoration at demonstration sites in Canada and internationally. The research is part of the European Space Agency (ESA) supported Pioneer Earth Observation Applications for the Environment (PEOPLE) Ecosystem Restoration project. The successful candidate will participate in the development and evaluation of remote sensing approaches to assess ER at demonstration sites in Canada and internationally.
This position will be mostly in-office at both UBC Vancouver and Hatfield North Vancouver and the successful candidate will need to be physically located in the lower mainland or be willing to relocate.
- Collaborate with research partners to design and implement impactful research in remote sensing for ecosystem restoration.
- Develop methods and algorithms applicable to assessing ecosystem restoration applicable to forest and wetland biomes.
- Assess, interpret, and synthesize information and contribute to technical reports.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum MSc or PhD degree (e.g., remote sensing, computer science, computer vision, data science, or forestry with a strong technical background) and an interest in forest management or ecosystem restoration.
- Experience in automating image processing using Python and relevant libraries (e.g. GDAL, rasterio, pandas/geopandas, numpy).
- Fundamental understanding and demonstrable knowledge in remote sensing and in forestry or natural resource management.
- Documented track-record in publishing high-quality scientific papers within the field of the position.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills with a strong publication record.
- A self-starter with a passion for continuous learning to advance personal and research goals and objectives.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Remote Sensing Research Associate Vancouver” in your subject line. Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be notified but we will retain your resume for any future openings.