Must be located in Canada. Fully remote work possible.
Hatfield has been awarded one of BC’s Top Employers for 2022 and we’re looking for more outstanding people to join our team! We do interesting and meaningful work with opportunities for career and professional growth. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, and comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and a RRSP matching plan.
Hatfield is an innovative, purpose-driven company that provides services in environmental and social sciences to advance sustainable development in Canada and internationally. We’re seeking a Python Developer to join our growing Digital Solutions Group. As a Python Developer, you will provide implementation, design, and integration services for our clients together with our team of remote sensing data scientists.
The Digital Solutions Group develops digital systems for our clients to tackle problems like assessing the impact of habitat fragmentation on endangered woodland caribou, monitoring environmental determinants of health related to the spread of West Nile Virus and Lyme Disease, and modelling the species distribution of endangered North Atlantic Right Whales. We are looking for individuals that are like-minded who seek to apply technologies to address a wide range of environmental and social issues.
This position benefits from our flexible policy allowing working from home while providing access to our modern and welcoming office spaces in North Vancouver, New Westminster, Terrace, Fort St. John, Fort McMurray or Calgary. Staff in this position will be asked to attend in-person team building and coordination activities in Vancouver two- or three times a year (to be scheduled with team member input).
- Work together with the team of software developers and subject matter experts to build out and support the operations of GEOAnalytics Canada (geoanalytics.ca).
- Develop, test, deploy and maintain web applications, APIs, services, and documentation and systems that power GEOAnalytics Canada.
- Work with remote sensing scientists to define, implement and scale algorithms for image analysis, machine vision, and data analysis.
- Mentor and guide scientists on code and design reviews.
- Support identifying and developing new business opportunities in Canada and internationally.
- Support writing of technical proposals and reports, including collaborating with partner organizations when required.
- Other related duties as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree or higher in computing science, engineering, remote sensing applications or a related field. New grads are welcome to apply.
- Experience with writing web applications and APIs in Python (e.g. Flask, FastAPI, Django, etc.). +1 for front end (UI/UX) design and development experience with VueJS or React
- Demonstrated experience with Linux systems and Docker. +1 for experience with Kubernetes and Terraform
- Knowledge of Python for parallel data processing and machine learning analysis (e.g. gdal, rasterio, geopandas, numpy, seaborn/matplotlib, dask, xarray, scikit-learn, pytorch, TensorFlow, Keras).
- Ability to communicate regularly, professionally, and clearly at general, technical and management levels to inform team members, science teams and the science user community.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and to communicate effectively in written and spoken English
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Python Developer for Satellite Data” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.