Hatfield Consultants is seeking a Junior Water Resources Technician to become part of our dynamic Water Resources Group in Fort McMurray, Alberta. The ideal candidate will provide field and technical support for the design and implementation of, hydrology, water resource management, and hydrogeology components of Hatfield’s oil and gas, mining, and infrastructure projects. Duties will consist of carrying out field work on a variety of water resources field programs, entering and analyzing data, assisting with the writing of reports, and assisting in other environmental projects as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols.
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team to assess potential project-related and/or climate change related impacts on water resources and environmental values. This may include providing support for a variety of water resource (e.g., hydrometric, water quality, hydrogeological, climate) monitoring programs.
- Prepare, participate in and/or lead water resources field investigation and monitoring programs.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and calibrated to meet operational and field requirements.
- Support on-going data management and reporting functions.
Education and Experience:
- Ability to work in teams of technicians with varying levels of experience and maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability and interest to undertake extensive fieldwork, in a range of weather conditions, including working in remote locations and on programs that may require camp stays.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and the willingness to work overtime in support of field programs.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing) including an ability to communicate professionally with clients.
Education and/or Experience:
- B.Sc. or technical diploma in sciences or engineering with some prior formal training (e.g., coursework) in hydrology and/or hydrogeology.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in and Alberta and British Columbia, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- The ideal candidate will have prior experience:
- in a consulting environment;
- undertaking hydrometric, climate and/or groundwater monitoring;
- collecting surface water and groundwater samples; and
- programming and operating dataloggers.
- Other experience that would be an asset includes: construction environmental monitoring; soil and sediment sampling; and data analysis and reporting.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume describing your experience through the online form or email at firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please include “Junior Water Resource Technician – Fort McMurray” in your email subject line. Salary expectations are also appreciated and may be included in your cover letter. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.