Hatfield has been awarded BC’s Top Employers for 2022 and we’re looking for more outstanding people to join our team! We do interesting and meaningful work with opportunities for career and professional growth. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, and comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and a RRSP matching plan.
Hatfield’s Human Environment Group has interests and experience in a wide range of social science and related research and projects including: social, health and economic impact assessment; community and Indigenous engagement; Indigenous knowledge studies; capacity development; social determinants of health; gender studies; and climate impacts and adaptation research.
We are seeking an early- to mid-career professional to join our team. The successful candidate will have strong technical skills in the social sciences and/or related disciplines. We seek an individual with excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and sound ability to communicate and liaise effectively with existing and prospective clients, regulators, and Indigenous Groups.
A graduate degree or equivalent experience in social science or related disciplines is expected although equivalent combinations of education and experience will also be considered. The role is responsible for technical support and delivery of a variety of projects both within Canada and in collaboration with our international offices.
We are particularly interested in candidates with a background or experience in any one or more of the following: social and economic impact assessment; Indigenous and/or public engagement and consultation; social determinants of health; social statistics, economics or econometrics; monitoring and evaluation (M&E); social performance monitoring and resettlement; land-use or community planning or similar.
- Work independently and with teams of social and environmental specialists and technicians on a variety of projects, across multiple sectors and with a broad range of clients;
- Deliver high quality research and reports;
- Contribute to the planning, organization, and delivery of stakeholder and Indigenous engagement or consultation activities;
- Research design, implementation and analysis;
- Support preparation of proposals; and
- Networking and business development.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in social science or related field;
- 3+ years’ work experience;
- Background or experience in one or more social science or interdisciplinary fields (e.g., sociology, economics, public health, gender studies, anthropology, geography, international studies, natural resource management, land use planning or similar);
- Experience working with or within government agencies, indigenous peoples and/or governments, international development organizations, or other third party or non-government organizations;
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Technical ability in the preparation and delivery of social science research including research design, data collection, compilation and analysis;
- Excellence in technical report writing and other forms of written communication (e.g. training materials or community outreach);
- Excellent oral communication skills (e.g. networking, facilitation, and community engagement skills);
- Inquisitive and entrepreneurial;
- Open to periodic travel, including internationally, and to work in remote locations and communities as required.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Junior/Intermediate Social Science Specialist” in your subject line. Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be notified but we will retain your resume for any future openings.