With close to 50 years of environmental consulting experience, Hatfield’s work culture focuses on scientific excellence, professional development, a fun and inclusive environment, and providing flexible work arrangements including hybrid work options and a biweekly earned days off program. In addition, we have a flat organizational structure, and a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression.
We are seeking a permanent full-time Junior or Intermediate Social Science Specialist, preferably based out of our North Vancouver, New Westminster, or Terrace, BC office. Remote work is available. The successful candidate will have strong technical skills in the social sciences and/or related disciplines. We seek an individual with excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills and sound ability to communicate and liaise effectively with existing and prospective clients, regulators, and Indigenous groups. The role is responsible for technical support and delivery of a variety of projects both within Canada and in collaboration with our international offices. Hatfield’s Human Environment Group has interests and experience in a wide range of social science and related research and projects including social, health and economic impact assessment; community and Indigenous engagement; Indigenous knowledge studies; social determinants of health; gender studies; and climate impacts and adaptation.
We are particularly interested in candidates with a background or experience working in one or more of the following areas:
- Social and economic impact assessment.
- Indigenous interests and engagement.
- Social determinants of health.
- Gender based analysis (GBA+) methodologies.
- Land-use, resource or community planning.
- Economic analysis or econometrics.
- Social statistics and quantitative analysis.
- Monitoring and evaluation (M&E).
- Work independently and with teams of social and environmental specialists and technicians on a variety of projects, across multiple sectors and with a broad range of clients.
- Deliver high quality research and reports.
- Contribute to the planning, organization, and delivery of stakeholder and Indigenous engagement or consultation activities.
- Research design, implementation and analysis.
- Support preparation of proposals.
- Networking and business development.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree or equivalent experience in social science or related field.
- 2+ years’ work experience.
- Background or experience in one or more social science or interdisciplinary fields (e.g., sociology, land use planning, economics, public health, gender studies, anthropology, geography, international studies, natural resource management, or similar).
- Experience working with or within government agencies, Indigenous communities and/or international development organizations, or other third party or non-government organizations.
- Experience operating in a dynamic environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
- Experience working to deadlines and within budgets.
- Technical ability in the preparation and delivery of social science research including research design, data collection, compilation, and analysis.
- Excellence in technical report writing and other forms of written communication (e.g., training materials or community outreach).
- Excellent oral communication skills (e.g., networking, facilitation, and community engagement skills).
- Strong organizational and critical thinking skills.
- Inquisitive and entrepreneurial nature.
- Open to periodic travel, including internationally, and to work in remote locations and communities as required.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Junior/Intermediate Social Science Specialist” in your subject line. Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be notified but we will retain your resume for any future openings.