Hatfield is seeking an experienced, and technically strong individual to become part our dynamic Infrastructure and Environmental Management (IEM) team in Fort McMurray, Alberta. The successful candidate will provide technical support and assistance for the design, assessment, management, and implementation of infrastructure projects in northern Alberta. Duties will include creating and managing project teams, schedules, budgets and sub-contracts; providing environmental design inputs; coordinating federal and/or provincial impact assessments; leading environmental permitting and licensing; preparing and implementing environmental management plans (EMPs), related work plans, and monitoring programs; reporting; and ensuring compliance of project activities with all relevant local, provincial, and federal environmental regulations.
- Participate and lead field programs, as required, to conduct and direct technical aspects of environmental monitoring and infrastructure projects.
- Prepare and oversee the implementation of a range of environmental compliance documents required for project approval and implementation, such as EMPs, environmental protection plans, and environmental work plans.
- Work with teams of environmental specialists and technicians responsible for conducting environmental surveys; impact assessment studies in conformance with local, provincial, and federal regulations; and field activities associated with construction monitoring (e.g., compliance monitoring, water quality sampling, fish and wildlife salvages).
- Work with project development teams – including proponents, regulators, designers, engineers, and construction personnel – to address environmental compliance requirements during project planning and implementation.
- Undertake necessary project scheduling and budget management activities.
- Prepare project-related reports and presentations.
- Provide technical guidance to clients on environmental protection and environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring.
- Ensure compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols, as well as compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in a relevant environmental discipline (environmental science, engineering, etc.) and a relevant professional designation in Alberta, or eligibility to apply.
- Minimum of five years’ experience participating in and leading environmental studies focused on natural resource development and/or infrastructure projects.
- Minimum of three years’ experience managing impact assessments or environmental aspects of infrastructure development projects.
- Working knowledge of federal and provincial environmental legislation and environmental impact assessment methods.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in Alberta and British Columbia, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork, and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
- Excellent project management, planning, and communication skills to ensure successful project execution and monitoring.
- Understanding of pertinent environmental legislation, regulations, and guidance documents to ensure and/or enforce project-specific compliance.
- Experience working directly with project proponents, heavy civil design, and construction teams.
- Experience working with large, multi-disciplinary teams is essential.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing).
- Desire to take on greater responsibility and authority with increasing experience.
- Experience managing a range of environmental disciplines (air quality, noise, surface and groundwater quality, soils, vegetation, fish and fish habitat, contaminated sites, archaeology, etc.) is an asset.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume describing your experience through the online form or email at firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please include “Int/Sr Environmental Specialist – Fort McMurray” in your email subject line. Salary expectations are also appreciated and may be included in your cover letter. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.