Hatfield has been awarded BC’s Top Employers for 2022 and we’re looking for more outstanding people to join our team! We do interesting and meaningful work with opportunities for career and professional growth. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, and comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and a RRSP matching plan.
Hatfield Consultants is seeking a highly motivated Intermediate Hydrology Specialist to become part of our growing Water Resources team and provide field, technical, and project coordination support for the implementation of hydrology, climate and hydrogeology monitoring components of Hatfield’s energy, oil and gas, mining, and infrastructure projects in Alberta. The position is full-time permanent and would be a combination of office and fieldwork, based out of our Calgary office with frequent travel to Fort McMurray and other remote locations in western Canada. Start date is negotiable.
- Plan and coordinate remote field programs, assist with resource scheduling and project management.
- Prepare for, lead and/or participate in field programs required for hydrologic data collection and monitoring programs. When in the field, support the mentoring of junior staff with regard to data collection and monitoring activities.
- Ensure equipment is maintained and calibrated to meet operational and field requirements.
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team to assess potential project-related and/or climate change-related impacts on water resources and environmental values. This may include supporting the coordination and/or implementation of other water resource (e.g., groundwater, water quality, climate, aquatic, fish, construction) monitoring programs.
- Compile, manage and assess hydrologic, water use, water quality, and other environmental data.
- Support ongoing data management (e.g., review of near-real-time telemetry data) and reporting (e.g., Draft technical reports and data summaries).
Education and Experience:
Mandatory requirements for this position include:
- B.Sc. or technical diploma in natural/environmental sciences or engineering with some prior formal training (e.g., coursework) in hydrology or physical geography.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in Alberta and British Columbia, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written – including technical, scientific writing) skills.
- Experience and interest in field work. This position will be based in Calgary, but will have frequent travel to remote locations, for various durations, based out of hotels and camps.
- Knowledge of standard operating procedures, industry standards and best practices for hydrometric data collection.
- Experience and interest in data compilation and analysis.
Prior experience with the following is considered an asset for this position:
- Field investigation and monitoring programs, focussed on hydrological programs.
- Familiarity and comfort with remote site work including oil sands properties in Alberta.
- Project coordination, field project management, project management.
- Some prior formal training (e.g., coursework) in related environmental fields, such as geology/hydrogelogy, climate science, biology or chemistry.
- Other field experience, such as construction monitoring, groundwater monitoring, climate station monitoring and environmental effects monitoring etc.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “CGY Hydrology” in your subject line. Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be notified but we will retain your resume for any future openings.