With close to 50 years of environmental consulting experience, Hatfield’s work culture focuses on scientific excellence, professional development, a fun and inclusive environment, and providing flexible work arrangements including hybrid work options and a biweekly earned days off program. In addition, we have a flat organizational structure, a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression.
We are seeking an experienced, dynamic, and technically exceptional Senior Fisheries & Aquatics Scientist to provide leadership to our growing fisheries and aquatics group in North Vancouver. The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of the environmental consulting market in Western Canada, gained from their technical and related business development experience in the disciplines of fisheries and aquatic resources monitoring and assessment.
Collectively, the responsibilities of this position will provide our clients with thoughtfully planned and efficiently implemented projects. You will:
- Manage teams of environmental specialists and technicians responsible for conducting fisheries and baseline characterization and impact assessments, environmental effects monitoring, habitat assessment and quantification, and habitat compensation and restoration planning.
- Be responsible for primary client contact; preparation and submission of design/report documents; coordinating and facilitating meetings and presentations for clients, regulators, and interest groups; project scheduling and budgeting; and providing sound technical guidance to our clients.
- Collaborate with biologists, ecologists, hydrologists, geoscientists, social scientists, engineers, and other project specialists to implement multi-disciplinary projects.
- Organize and at times lead field surveys in remote (and beautiful) locations.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of marketing and business development activities and lead the preparation of technical and financial proposals for current and prospective clients.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in biological sciences.
- Professional biologist designation, or eligibility for immediate registration.
- Eight or more years of progressive work experience, managing environmental components of mining, pulp and paper, oil and gas, or infrastructure projects at a senior level.
- Sound working knowledge of Provincial and Federal environmental legislation and environmental impact assessment methodology.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires leadership, flexibility, and teamwork.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in British Columbia and Alberta, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
We believe that goodness of fit is as important as technical ability. We have a strong corporate culture that is rooted in technical excellence, collaboration, and fun. We firmly believe that happy and motivated staff are our most valuable asset. Hatfield could be a great fit if you:
- Thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Deftly manage multiple clients and deadlines.
- Enjoy technical challenges and problem solving.
- Work collaboratively and takes pride in helping your peers succeed.
- Think strategically and act diplomatically.
- Always strive to be the best.
Bonus points for:
- Aquatic habitat offsetting and compensation experience.
- Demonstrated experience implementing instream flow assessments
- Strong data analyst skills and experience synthesizing large datasets.
- And most importantly, a keen desire to join a group of talented environmental and social scientists working on challenging and thought-provoking projects across the globe.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Senior Fisheries & Aquatics Specialist” in your subject line. Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be notified but we will retain your resume for any future openings.