Hatfield has been awarded BC’s Top Employers for 2022 and we’re looking for more outstanding people to join our team! We do interesting and meaningful work with opportunities for career and professional growth. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, and comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and a RRSP matching plan.
Do you want to join a dynamic, science-driven consulting company that prides itself in applying collective expertise to advance environmental stewardship and responsible development? Be part of a team that values technical excellence, creativity, integrity, collaboration, as well as good humour and a supportive work atmosphere.
This full-time position is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and energetic individual to advance their career at a progressive, reputable, and growing consultancy. Hatfield has been in business for 48 years and is now one of the largest independent environmental consultancies headquartered in Western Canada. Hatfield has a strong team of Managers and Partners that will support and guide this position.
The successful candidate will provide technical support and assistance on environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring of projects in Alberta, British Columbia, and northern Canada.
- Implementing aquatic baseline assessments, operational and compliance monitoring programs, aquatic impact assessments, and habitat offsetting and restoration initiatives.
- Working with interdisciplinary teams of environmental specialists and technicians to effectively deliver environmental assessment programs in conformance with local, provincial, and federal regulations.
- Participating in and leading field programs focused on environmental monitoring and assessment of aquatic habitats across Western Canada.
- Compiling, managing, and interpreting environmental data, and composing technical reports.
- Providing technical assistance on proposal development, project scheduling, and budget management activities.
- Providing technical guidance to clients on environmental protection and permitting.
- Ensuring compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols, as well as compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in a relevant environmental discipline, such as fisheries, aquatic ecology, environmental science, or ecotoxicology.
- Four to eight years of progressive work experience, preferably in a professional consulting context.
- Relevant professional designation in Alberta or British Columbia, or eligibility for registration (e.g., P.Biol, RPBio, EP).
- General knowledge of federal and provincial environmental legislation and environmental impact assessment processes.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in Alberta and British Columbia, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Ability and interest to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility, teamwork, and work in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
- Exceptional project management skills, including verbal and written communication, technical reporting, budget tracking, and team development.
- Excellent research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation, and analysis) with a demonstrated ability to consistently apply high standards of scientific rigour to projects and deliverables.
- Motivated self-starter with a positive attitude and a desire to take on greater responsibility and authority with increasing experience.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Intermediate Aquatic Specialist – Calgary” in your subject line. Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be notified but we will retain your resume for any future openings.