Hatfield has been awarded BC’s Top Employers for 2022 and we’re looking for more outstanding people to join our team! We do interesting and meaningful work with opportunities for career and professional growth. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, and comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and a RRSP matching plan.
Hatfield is seeking an experienced, and technically strong Environmental Specialist to become part our dynamic Environmental Monitoring and Assessment (EMA) team in Fort McMurray, Alberta. The successful candidate will provide technical support and assistance for the environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring of industrial projects in Alberta. Duties will consist of organizing and implementing required environmental assessment and monitoring programs, including study design, statistical analysis and reporting; and ensuring environmental compliance of project activities with all relevant local, provincial and federal environmental regulations. The successful candidate will possess scientific expertise and experience in effects monitoring and assessment within aquatic ecosystems, including fish populations and fish heath.
- Participate and lead field programs, as required, to conduct and direct technical aspects of environmental monitoring and assessment of aquatic habitats.
- Organize and implement aquatic impact assessments and environmental monitoring programs, including study design, data analysis and reporting.
- Undertake aquatic effects assessments using fish populations (with emphasis on monitoring bioindicators that reflect fish health), benthic invertebrate communities, as well as water and sediment chemistry.
- Work with teams of environmental specialists and technicians responsible for conducting environmental baseline surveys and impact assessment studies in conformance with local, provincial, and federal regulations.
- Undertake necessary project scheduling and budget management activities.
- Prepare project-related reports and presentations.
- Provide technical guidance to clients on environmental protection and environmental permitting, assessment, and monitoring.
- Ensure compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols, as well as compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in a relevant environmental discipline (fisheries, water quality, environmental science, ecotoxicology) and a relevant professional designation in Alberta, or eligibility to apply.
- Minimum of five years’ experience with aquatic sciences and leading environmental studies focused on natural resource development and/or infrastructure projects.
- Working knowledge of federal and provincial environmental legislation and environmental impact assessment methods.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in Alberta and British Columbia, and a valid Canadian driver’s license.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork, and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
- Demonstrated technical competency and knowledge of freshwater and/or marine ecology.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a high standard of scientific rigour to all projects and deliverables.
- Experience and success working in large, multi-disciplinary teams is essential.
- Demonstrated reporting and project management skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation and analysis).
- Excellent communication (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing).
- Desire to take on greater responsibility and authority with increasing experience.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: resumes@hatfieldgroup.