Hatfield is seeking a Geospatial Developer Co-Op to become part of our Environmental Data Analytics Team in our North Vancouver office for an 8-month term in 2021. The Co-Op will support development of our cloud native big data geoscience platform (GEO Analytics Canada – www.geoanalytics.ca) including the design, implementation, and validation of algorithms and core systems related to the analysis and integration of remote sensing and other geospatial datasets. Other geospatial development tasks may be completed as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team to support development of custom, scalable workflows for satellite data (optical, radar and lidar), including calibration, data fusion, analyzing and integrating remote sensing data with other data sources
- Participate in manipulating geospatial datasets to extract information using methods such as change detection, segmentation, and image classification using machine learning (e.g., machine learning and deep learning) algorithms.
- Implement validation of processing and classification systems and workflows.
- Support the creation of case study tutorials and documentation of GEO Analytics Canada functionality and features.
- Support on-going data management and reporting functions.
- Ability to work in a team of technical specialists with varying levels of experience and maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to work in an environment that requires flexibility and multi-tasking.
- Ability to work with tight deadlines while retaining flexibility and a sense for priorities.
- Strong technical writing and communication skills.
- An understanding of remote sensing principles, tools, and services.
Education and Experience:
Education and/or Experience:
- Ongoing B.Sc., M.Sc., or post-graduate qualification in GIS, remote sensing, Engineering and/or Computer Science (or equivalent experience).
- Experience applying machine learning algorithms will be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated experience programming in Python for image processing and analysis (e.g. rasterio, geopandas, seaborn/matplotlib).
- Knowledge and experience using Linux systems.
- Knowledge and experience of advanced Python libraries for geospatial data processing (e.g. Dask, Xarray, Futures) would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of cloud computing systems (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Serverless) would be considered an asset.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Geospatial Developer Co-Op” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified