Location: New Westminster
Hatfield has been awarded one of BC’s Top Employers for 2022 and we’re looking for more outstanding people to join our team! We do interesting and meaningful work with opportunities for career and professional growth. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, and comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and a RRSP matching plan.
Hatfield’s infrastructure construction portfolio continues to grow, with exciting projects, including water supply tunnels, spillways and generation stations, wastewater treatment outfalls, coastal and marine developments.
We are a progressive and growing owner-operated consultancy focused on providing the highest quality environmental services to our clients at the cutting edge of science. Hatfield has been in business for 47 years and is one of the largest, independent environmental consultancies headquartered in Western Canada. We place great emphasis on providing industry-leading quality services, that incorporate scientific rigour and integrity, and Indigenous and community engagement.
This full-time position presents a tremendous opportunity for an experienced and energetic individual to play a key role in the ongoing development of our team. It offers an exciting career-growth opportunity for a qualified Environmental Technician to assist with construction environmental monitoring and management, field studies, and permitting in support of infrastructure projects. The ideal candidate will have a broad ecology background and revel working on fast-paced, dynamic, construction sites throughout Western Canada. Project assignments will cross several industry sectors (e.g., roads, bridges, highways, rapid transit, marine and coastal development, pipelines, municipal infrastructure, tunneling, renewable energy, etc.). This position will have excellent mentorship from experienced environmental professionals.
Hatfield embraces diversity and respect for different cultures. Hatfield recognizes that employees, irrespective of gender, nationality, ethnic background, religion, or age contribute their skills and perspectives to improve the services we offer to clients.
The position will be based out of Hatfield’s New Westminster office and may require travel throughout Western Canada.
- Conduct field activities including construction monitoring, fish, wildlife and vegetation surveys and baseline survey/assessments.
- Assist with project planning and implementation, including health and safety, resourcing, budgeting, scheduling, reporting, quality management, and day-to-day client liaison.
- Provide technical assistance for acquiring environmental permits, licenses, and approvals from regulatory agencies.
- Prepare a range of environmental compliance documents required for project approval and implementation, such as weekly reports, EMPs, EPPs, and environmental work plans.
- Work with project contractors and owners to identify and address environmental management and protection measures.
Education and Experience:
- Relevant technical diploma, undergraduate degree, or equivalent with appropriate qualifications for work in BC and at least two years of experience in construction environmental monitoring.
- Experience interpreting and working with federal and provincial environmental regulatory and permitting requirements associated with infrastructure projects.
- Electrofishing an asset to have.
- Experience working successfully with large, multi-disciplinary heavy civil construction teams.
- Experience in and working with a range of environmental disciplines (e.g., air quality, noise, surface and groundwater quality, soils, erosion and sediment control, vegetation, fish and fish habitat, contaminated sites, archaeology, Indigenous communities, etc.) is an asset.
- Direct experience as a construction environmental monitor, having had exposure to erosion and sediment control, water quality, fish salvage, bird nesting surveys, and acoustic monitoring.
- Relevant professional certification (e.g., BIT/RPBio, RBTech, AAg, EPt, etc.) or ability to obtain is an asset.
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
- Enthusiastic ability to work in the field for long hours in a variety of weather conditions.
- Excellent problem-solving skills to ensure project delivery and compliance through creative and adaptable solutions.
- Capable of working and communicating with multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Ability to obtain permits, licenses, and approvals from local, provincial, and federal authorities as well as ability to write weekly reports, EMPs, etc.
- Understanding of pertinent environmental legislation, regulations, and guidance documents.
- Excellent communication (verbal and technical writing) skills and time management.
- Comfortable issuing stop-work orders and independently implementing controls necessary to protect the environment during non-compliance events.
- Motivated, adaptable team player who is willing to independently take ownership of specific tasks with self-driven ability to take initiative.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please indicate “Environmental Technician/Construction Monitor – New Westminster” in your subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.