Hatfield Consultants LLP is seeking an experienced, scientifically strong Environmental Specialist to become part of our dynamic Environmental Monitoring and Assessment team in Calgary, Alberta. The ideal candidate will provide technical support and leadership for the environmental assessment, permitting and monitoring projects in Alberta, British Columbia and northern Canada. Duties will consist of organizing and implementing environmental assessment and monitoring programs; ecotoxicology studies including study design, statistical analysis and reporting; and ensuring environmental compliance of project activities with all relevant local, provincial and federal environmental regulations. The successful candidate will possess significant scientific expertise and experience in environmental assessment, aquatic effects monitoring and assessment, including water chemistry and biota.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and implement aquatic impact assessments and environmental monitoring programs, including study design, data analysis and reporting.
- Lead aquatic effects assessments using fish populations, benthic invertebrate communities, as well as water and sediment chemistry.
- Participate in and lead field programs, as required, to conduct and direct technical aspects of environmental monitoring and assessments of aquatic habitats.
- Work with and lead teams of environmental specialists and technicians responsible for conducting environmental baseline surveys and impact assessment studies.
- Undertake project scheduling and budget management activities (development and tracking of budgets).
- Lead and prepare project-related data analysis, reports and presentations.
- Provide technical guidance to clients on environmental assessment, permitting and monitoring.
- Ensure compliance with Hatfield’s Health and Safety Management Plan, the law, and client health and safety protocols, as well as compliance with Hatfield’s Quality Management Plan and external requirements and regulations.
- Demonstrated technical competency and knowledge of freshwater ecology and surface water quality.
- Experience with toxicology and familiarity with risk assessment concepts.
- Experience with lower trophic community descriptions, metrics, and quantification.
- Experience with fish community and fish population assessments.
- Experience in stream and lake sampling techniques.
- Ability and interest to undertake and lead field programs, often in remote locations.
- Experience with biostatistics and the ability to apply and interpret statistical analyses.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a high standard of scientific rigour to all projects and deliverables.
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
- Demonstrated reporting and project management skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Research and analytical skills (data collection, compilation and analysis).
- Excellent communication (verbal and written – technical or scientific writing).
Education and Experience:
Education and Experience:
- Graduate degree in a relevant environmental discipline (fisheries, aquatic ecology, environmental science) is preferred; a bachelor’s degree with sufficient courses in fisheries biology/ecology/management supplemented with appropriate experience will be considered. Applicants have status as a biology professional (P. Biol.) and/or eligibility for accreditation through a professional biology organization such as the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists an asset.
- Minimum five years of experience managing environmental studies focused on natural resource development and/or infrastructure projects.
- Sound working knowledge of Provincial and Federal environmental legislation and environmental impact assessment methods
- Experience operating in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork, and an ability/interest to work in the field, occasionally in remote locations.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume describing your experience through the online form or email at email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please include “Environmental Specialist – Calgary” in your email subject line. Salary expectations are also appreciated and may be included in your cover letter. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.