Hatfield has been awarded one of BC’s Top Employers for 2022 and we’re looking for more outstanding people to join our team! We do interesting and meaningful work with opportunities for career and professional growth. We also offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours, vacation allowances, and comprehensive health benefits including extended health coverage, an employee and family assistance program, and a RRSP matching plan.
Hatfield Consultants is seeking a Full-Time Environmental Information Specialist for our growing Environmental Data Analytics team in North Vancouver. Hatfield provides customized data analytics and information management support to our diverse Canadian and global portfolio of projects in environmental management and community development.
As an Environmental Information Specialist, you will provide data analytics and information management services on a wide variety of environmental management and monitoring projects. The ideal candidate will be comfortable conducting a wide variety of data-driven activities, including statistical data analysis in R, development and implementation of project-specific and company-wide data-management protocols, and supporting the design, development and validation of internally developed data-management applications. This individual will play an integral role in the ongoing evolution of Hatfield’s Environmental Data Analytics team, with considerable scope for career development and advancement.
Strong communication skills and the ability to understand the unique technical and data-communications needs of a wide range of clients are important in this position.
- Conduct statistical analysis of environmental datasets (such as water quality data, fisheries data, hydrology data, etc.)
- Create, coordinate and contribute to environmental data analysis and synthesis using tools created in R.
- Support data analysis, management and validation for a variety of environmental management and monitoring projects.
- Provide technical support for clients and Hatfield staff using our in-house environmental data management systems.
- Provide guidance to Hatfield’s team that is developing EnviroData (envirodata.io).
- Develop cost estimates and manage budgets for projects of varying size and scope.
- Write proposals, contribute to specification documents and identify business opportunities.
Education and Experience:
Required Skills and Experience:
- B.Sc. or higher degree.
- 2+ years’ directly related experience.
- Experience with environmental management/monitoring projects and the analysis of associated datasets (such as water quality data, fisheries data, hydrology data, etc.).
- Experience conducting statistical analyses of environmental datasets using R and/or Python.
- Experience with git workflows for code sharing, collaboration and project management
- Experience with the field collection of physical, chemical, and/or biological samples and data. The candidate must be willing to participate in field surveys to support environmental monitoring projects.
- Exceptional listening, organizing and self-learning skills.
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Experience building strong working relationships with stakeholders and clients.
- Values diversity and collaboration.
- Ability to work in a team context with software developers and non-technical users.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Additional Skills and Experience Considered a Strong Asset:
- Consulting experience, particularly environmental consulting.
- International work or volunteer experience.
- Experience providing validation reviews of software systems and contributing to software design and development specifications.
- Experience designing and implementing interactive web-based data-visualization systems.
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume describing your experience through the online form or email at firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please). Please include “Environmental Information Specialist – Vancouver” in your email subject line. Salary expectations are also appreciated and may be included in your cover letter. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.