With close to 50 years of environmental consulting experience, Hatfield’s work culture focuses on scientific excellence, professional development, a fun and inclusive environment, and providing flexible work arrangements including hybrid work options and a biweekly earned days off program. In addition, we have a flat organizational structure, and a friendly, accessible, and down-to-earth management team that truly cares about employee career progression.
We are seeking a permanent full-time Environmental Impact Assessment Specialist, preferably based out of one of Hatfield’s Western Canadian office locations. The successful candidate will possess a solid understanding of federal and BC provincial environmental assessment legislation and review processes. Based on a broad knowledge of and multiple years’ experience with the coordination of Environmental Assessments, including Indigenous, regulatory and community engagement, the ideal candidate will revel in the challenges of a diversity of infrastructure projects across multiple sectors (e.g., climate change adaptation, transportation and energy infrastructure, mining, coastal and marine development). Furthermore, they will have a broad understanding of interdisciplinary considerations for managing complex and long-term environmental assessments.
- Under the direction of senior staff, support the management and coordination of environmental assessment teams through the project assessment process and concurrent or subsequent permitting requirements.
- Coordinate field work logistics, including participation of Indigenous .
- Promote Hatfield’s strong health and safety culture and ISO9001 compliant quality management plan.
- Support and participate in engagement activities with regulators, Indigenous groups, communities, and stakeholders as part of the project design, environmental assessment and permitting process.
- Coordinate and participate in the preparation of environmental assessment documentation (Initial and Detailed Project Descriptions, Impact Statement/Application) including managing information requests and the preparation of environmental management plans.
- Work with teams of environmental specialists and technicians (both internal to Hatfield and sub-consultants) across a range of valued components to assess potential project effects and define strategies.
- Support project management tasks including the creation and monitoring of budgets and schedules, and the coordination of sub-consultant contracts and monthly invoicing.
- Participate in client meetings, communications, and provide strategic and technical advice.
- Supporting business development opportunities, including the writing of proposals.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum undergraduate degree in a relevant environmental discipline (fisheries, aquatics, ecology, environmental science/studies).
- Minimum 2 years of federal or provincial environmental assessment experience, preferably as a Professional Consultant and/or a Regulator.
- Experience supporting project environmental assessments, including coordination of technical disciplines and assessment reporting requirements.
- Knowledge and experience with federal and/or provincial environmental assessment and/or permitting requirements.
- Appropriate qualifications for work in British Columbia and Alberta.
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License.
- Demonstrated aptitude for project management and coordination, and excellent organization and problem-solving skills.
- A motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal and the ability to interact across a broad range of multidisciplinary audiences/ technical backgrounds including internal and external clients and regulatory agencies.
- Ability and interest to work in the field,
- Indigenous, regulatory, and public engagement experience is an asset
- Ability to work in a dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility and teamwork.
- Ability to support business development opportunities, including writing proposals and marketing materials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Aptitude with MS Suite of tools (Project, SharePoint, Excel)
Hatfield is committed to employment equity and workplace diversity. We strive for equity, inclusiveness and diversity, irrespective of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and CV describing your experience and salary expectations in confidence through the online form or email: resumes@hatfieldgroup.